We’re seeking a talented Systems Engineer to help build the distributed execution substrate that powers Heroku.
You will join the Heroku Runtime Team in designing and implementing a robust, secure, highly dynamic, and massively scalable multi-tenant execution system. This system will coordinate with Heroku’s distributed process management layer to manage all processes in the Heroku dyno manifold, the kernel to Heroku’s cloud operating system.
Problems that you will work on:
- Dynamic execution: executing arbitrary heterogeneous processes at scale and propagating process state changes in real time.
- Distribution: maintaining an appropriate pool of hosts and distribution of user processes in this highly dynamic environment.
- Containerization: fully isolating individual processes on the same host and across hosts.
- Resource control: constraining and accounting for resource use along several dimensions at the process level.
- Resiliency: transparently repairing user process formations in the face of continuous underlying infrastructure failures.
- Security: maintaining multiple levels of security in our multi-tenant execution environment.
Things you should be passionate about:
- Unix and Linux (e.g. sockets, syscalls, memory management, scheduling, kernel modules)
- Process management (e.g. init, systemd, Upstart)
- File systems (e.g. ext3, XFS, LVM, Aufs)
- Networking and network protocols (e.g. TCP/IP, UDP, HTTP, SSH)
- Virtualization and containerization (e.g. Xen, VirtualBox, cgroups, LXC)
- Systems and scripting programming languages (e.g. C, Bash, Go, Ruby)
- Ability to be on call on a rotational basis
Bonus points for:
- Startup experience
- Linux Kernel commits
- 6+ years experience
When applying, include as many of the following as possible:
- A link to your Github account
- Two or three code snippets that you think represent your coding style
- Brief description of your skills, passions, and work style
- Link to your blog and/or other personal/hobby apps you’ve built
This position is at Heroku's office in San Francisco.
Heroku is a thriving start-up owned by Salesforce.com, based in SOMA, San Francisco. Our work environment is fun and flexible while also ruthlessly focused on technical excellence and customer success. Our growing group offers lots of opportunities for hyper talented, self- motivated, no-drama and no-nonsense individuals who share our belief that cloud architectures are dramatically changing web application development and deployment, and want to be part of the vanguard of this movement.